Discover the Secrets of your Maine Coon Cat

Brand New Book Revealed.

This fantastic book is currently being sold for a massively discounted price of just$7.

I do not know how long this price will last so grab yourself a copy now.

It is very well written and contains a wealth of information, including how to deal with any behavoural problems you may encounter with your Maine Coon.

Don't miss this whilst it is so cheap.

Secrets of the Maine Coon Cat

18 ways to stop cat urine odour

Get rid of your cat urine odor problem once and for all!

You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars and hours of time cleaning cat puddles. You don't have to be angry with your kitty.

Here's 18 kitty-researched and cat-tested solutions.

I guarantee one going's to work for you.

Check out 18 ways to stop cat urine odour

Wednesday 14 May 2008

Aggression and the Maine Coon Cat

Ouch! The Bite That Hurts – Dealing with Maine Coon Cat Aggression
Talk about thorny problems – or rather pointed (cat's claws and teeth) problems. Did you know this is the second highest ranking problem that drives cat owners to the vet for solutions? The first one is inappropriate elimination in the house. If your Maine Coon Cat came with manuals, this might be a lot easier to deal with. However, cats don't come with manuals, and the other thing is, even if they did, they wouldn’t read them anyway.
So what do you do? That's the $64 million dollar question. It's well documented that aggression is usually "acquired" in one of two ways – early experiences in life and genetics, with genetics playing the lead role. You might be able to live with your cat's quirks (I mean really, they live with ours!) but cat bites and scratches hurt like the dickens and can cause infections.
Yes, cats are considered pets, but by nature they are hunters and stalkers with the teeth and claws to back that point up. No matter how pampered your Maine Coon Cat is, they will still lie in wait, stalk and pounce. That's just the way it is! You've seen them rip about your house batting and pouncing on anything that moves, including the dog's wagging tail (which sets the dog off too). In the world of a small kitten, and at times older cats, anything that looks like it might be "prey" is worth hunting. It's a great blast playing hunt! However, if you decide to encourage this kind of behavior, beware! It can and will get out of hand.
Kittens usually have littermates to test their boundaries. If one of them gets out of line, they get an attitude adjustment from the kitten they just peed off, or Mom steps in and reads them the riot act. If a kitten is adopted out too early, this rough play transfers to the owner. Owners don’t always let the cat know what's out of line and what isn't. Likely under the mistaken impression that it's "just" harmless play and you can't discipline a cat like a dog.
There's a difference between harmless kitten/cat carousing and aggressive play. Just look at your kitten/cat and you will know the signs right away – highly exaggerated postures, the "crouch", ears flattened, dilated pupils and that wicked switching tail. What to do? Re-direct the kitten's/cat's behavior if you like by clapping your hands loudly or making some other ruckus that startles them.
Frankly the easiest solution is to not encourage this acting out by rough housing with them. Refuse to participate and yes, they will grow out of this.
Territory aggression is a bit of a bummer. The racket a cat lets out when another feline comes onto "their" property is horrendous. You can't miss it. It might sound funny, but in terms of staking a claim to a place, a cat is way worse than a dog. This kind of behavior usually starts when they are between 1 and 2 years old. They not only get upset, they get downright bent out of shape at any other cat daring to intrude. It will sometimes take them more than half the day to get their noses out of joint.
Territory aggression is the "hey this spot is mine" kind of clash that happens right in front of you in the house. The hissing, growling and spitting starts, there's usually some fast foot action, a yowl or two and the chase is on. If you interfere you may get bitten, clawed or hissed at. If you do succeed in separating the cats, the instigator may displace his bad mood on the other cats in the house (and sometimes the owner).
There are times when the feline grumbling can escalate into a full rear attack made by the more dominant member of the pack. The submissive cat gets tail and loin injuries. When in that spot they usually retaliate and spray the house to get their rank in the pack back. You won't always see this coming either because the signals they give each other are really subtle. Although multiple cat households are mostly peaceful because they've all worked out their differences over a period of time, clashes do happen when something causes stress. Turf battles can be loud and ugly. Adding a new cat to the mix without following the "Introduction" protocol will invite a disaster.
What to do with a turf battle? Separate the combatants with gloves, or something to protect your hands. Take them to separate rooms. By the way, if you are returning from the vet, leave the cat in the carrier for an hour before letting it out. Don't punish them past separating them after the battle. Instead withdraw affection for a few days and they'll get the message quickly.
You can also try a product called Feliway. Although it's usually used to stop cats from peeing in the house, it can be used to calm aggression in cats. Don't spray it directly on the cat. Use a cloth of some sort like paper towels, wait until it's not damp then rub the towel on the cat's back and sides of the head. Have lots of super sturdy scratching posts and good pounce toys. Keep nails clipped short.
Aggression directed against humans is more than a bummer. It can be dangerous for both you and the cat. This type of aggression is usually instilled due to improper handling while the cat was a kitten. They will be frightened of people, pin their ears back, curl their tails inward, angle their bodies away from the threat and lash out with claws and bite. The hissy fit usually involves a show of sharp, pointed teeth and their hair may be standing on end.
Really about the only thing you can do in this situation is to make sure kittens are handled gently and appropriately and properly socialized to humans, other cats and dogs. Stroke slowly and gently when kitten is relaxed, and treat with food when you are done. If you're dealing with an adult, then this is more difficult to manage.
Adults can take a long time to overcome fear, but it can be done with patience. Let the cat get hungry then offer its favorite food. Don't approach the cat! Wait until it comes to you. This might not happen for a while but if you act slowly and carefully, with respect, the cat will eventually come around and eat out of your hand. The cat needs to work out its fears in its own good time, pushing it will not help.
Oddly enough, cats also manifest something called redirected aggression as well. What happens is something upsets the cat and instead of taking its aggression out on the cause of their angst, they beat up the owner or another pet. Obviously this would ruin any trust built up between the cat and the other cats and the owner.
The only solution to this is to find and remove what caused the aggression in the first place. If it was another cat, shut the blinds, tear outside and shoo it away. Leave your cat alone until it calms down. Don't try to calm it down or you will likely get bitten for your trouble. Separate the upset cat from the others by putting it into a room by itself and leave the lights off. If you need to, use gloves to pick the upset feline up, or wrap it in a towel. Once calm, reintroduce the cat to the others. This by the way is why cats coming back from the vet get pounced on. The others can smell strange "cat/other animals" on the returning feline.
Aggression related to medical difficulties is another problem to consider. Although this does not happen that frequently, it is something you need to check with your vet. You need to check with a vet when the aggression happens literally out of the blue. Handle the cat with care and make sure it remains in the carrier until the vet is ready for the exam. You'd be ideally asking for a complete exam and x-rays to rule out a problem. The exam may catch arthritis, which is painful for the cat when handled. There may a neurological problem. Take the time to find out what ails your cat. It will make life easier.
There are a number of possible medical solutions to problems your cat may have. It of course depends on the diagnosis, which could be anything from arthritis to "ghost" pains or epilepsy to "dry" feline infectious peritonitis (terminal). Work with your vet and cat to get the best medication possible to help them.
Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde at times take up residence in your cat (petting aggression). While petting them they suddenly whirl and bite you. Hmmm, they wanted up on your lap in the first place! What's up with that?
What's up with that is that some cats have a low tolerance for affection. So at the first signs they're getting peed – restlessness, twitching tail, flat ears that are twitching and moving its head toward you hand – release the cat. You can try handing them a yummy fish treat just before you think they might attack, but this is a little like trying to guess the winning numbers in the lottery.
There are other forms of aggression such as dominance aggression and maternal aggression. Both display the classic signs of a perturbed puss that we have already discussed in this article. Yes there are drugs you can try that range from Valium to Acepromazine (tranquilizers) and from antihistamines to amytriptyline. The bottom line is really this: do you want your cat on drugs? Will it help them curb the aggression? Tough questions that only you, in consultation with your vet, can make up your mind about.
If you have enjoyed this article about dealing with aggression and your Maine Coon Cat then please feel free to reprint it as it is. This resource box must be included with the article. Please visit my blog at http://www.world-of-maine-coon-cats.blogspt.com/ for lots more free articles and information.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Please help me! 🙀
I have 3 cats. One baby, one 5 years, and one oldie(.12) years. Oldest and youngest are adorable!:) they can play, cuddle.. anything. But the maine coon in the middle, is pure evil!!!?:0 and we can't understand how to make him better! He Kills us if we come to close, can't pet him, bath him, comb him.. we've all ended up badly bruised and with stitches bevause of this crazy one. Sometimes.. not often, he's like a baby again, he plays and we can cuddle him. But we can never never be safe around him, he attacks with NO warning sights. We feel sorry for him, but honestly we have no idea what to do anymore, he hates us!://

RobinKitson said...

I have for female cats. The oldest one is an indoor outdoor cat and she likes to go outside she does not get along with the other animals. Baby girl is my Maine coon and she is just now when year old I've had her since she was still on milk at 5 weeks. I still remember feeding her and remembering she is the most loving cat I've ever had but then I also have two other kittens and there about 9 weeks. And baby girl gets along with the eldest kitten but not the youngest and she treats the eldest kitten like she has her own although she's never had babies and she is fixed. I am worried about baby girl because before we got the three other animals she would bite me when I picked her up. Like literally dig her claws into my face and bite on my forehead it wasn't bad enough for stitches but she would also run up behind me and attack my legs while I was walking and she still does it occasionally. Could anyone help me figure out what I can do with baby girl my Maine Coon I don't want to get rid of her she is my baby I just need some ways that I can get her to not do the acting out she is doing since the new animals have gotten here. I'd also like to know why she was doing it even though we didn't have any other pets. And it was just her. I would also like to know why she doesn't come to me like she used to she doesn't do a lot of hiding but she likes me to pet her but doesn't like laying on my chest like she used to when she was little.

Unknown said...

I have one adopted older Maine Coon (about 8-10) male who was newly neutered and one eye removed due to infection (probably due to fighting for survival). We named him Mikey Mike Wizkowski) and shortly became 'Tony Montana' due to biting out of the blue. Sent me to the doc. and my dog to the vet. He lives in our shop/office and sons apartment above. Great mouser event he is very well fed. Can NOT have him around any other pets. Just got a Maine Coon-mix kitten 'Bijou' (now 12 weeks old). Dad is pure Maine Coon, mom is mix. She goes from purring to psycho - hard biting. I have tried verbal reprimand, thumping her mouth, and time out. Verbal seems to have no effect (so far). Thumping just challenges her and puts her in defensive position - bites harder. Time out for just a couple minutes calms her down but not sure she's learning anything. Your comment about 'low tolerance' for affection makes a lot of sense. Both cats love affection, but when they're done, they're done. Gotta watch the body langue CLOSELY. Hoping that Bijou will respond to training since I got her at 8 weeks. If she keeps it up, she'll be a danger to all of us and our other pets. Both are definitely 'alpha' pets.

Unknown said...

I have a Maine Coon mix (Dad is Maine Coon, Mom is Calico) that I got when he was two months old. He just turned 1 year on the 3rd, and he turns on me for no reason. He is always in the room I am in, and he has been spoiled rotten since I got him. The best food (Orijens) and toys toys toys. There are no other cats in the apartment. He will come up to me and head butt me or arch his back to tell me he wants petted. But I can only do that a couple of times or he bites. I cannot play with him either, he puts his head under the bedsheet and jumps up and I am supposed to pat his head under there. But most of the time that means getting major attacked by him. Either way, it is instant agression: ears back, eyes dialated, tail twitching, and he postures and waits until he thinks he can get me again and he will do it over and over again. HELP!! I am thinking this might be epilepsy but it happens ALL THE TIME!

I am getting some real injuries, I am disabled and I had a thought about that too. I think Beau can tell that I am not strong and he may be fighting me for the "top boss" position?

Unknown said...

We brought our Maine coon male cat home from the shelter in 2009. He was described by the shelter worker as beautiful, neurted and fully declawed This was just what I was looking for to keep my female very sweet female Maine coon cat company while I worked long days. The were instant bestfriends. Soon though I could see behavior problems including biting shoes and other house hold items. As that eased up he began attacking my company. First he bit my friend's elderly dog's ear and nicked her leg as she intervened. Then my ex fiancé was threatened with hissing and growling to the point he called 911. Next he nicked another friend's leg. Then he severely bit my boyfriend's leg requiring medical treatment and a 10 day state required quarantine for the cat. I made the mistake of thinking it wouldn't happen again and brought him home. He bit my thigh in a territorial frenzy where he smelled the urine from another male cat on a package we brought inside. Within seconds he bit my boyfriend's leg again and began hissing and growling at us as we were terrified and I called 911. At this point I made the overdue decision to surrender him back to the shelter. He is too dangerous.

Unknown said...

I have a Maine coon cat. I've had him since he was eight weeks old. He has been raised with nothing but love and affection. There is another kitty in our house and he constantly cleans her head. Acts very paternal toward her so I don't think they are a problem. My maine coon cat loves being on my lap and is constantly there. He suddenly bites me. If I get him off my lap and try to leave he will follow after me and bite my feet. He doesn't show any signs of aggression prior to doing this. He's purring the whole time he's biting me. Any ideas anybody?

Unknown said...

For Ellen...I have 2 male Main Coons. One was rescued as an adult and loves people and then bites completely without provocation or warning. Since he was rescued and clearly had a hard life before we got him, we can't know how he may have been conditioned for this behavior. However, I got another male Main Coon kitten at 8 weeks old. He can go from purring to biting in an instant. He is now 10 mos. old and 15+ lbs. Will probably get to 20 lbs. When he was a kitten, I thought he might have to be destroyed because he was that mean and that unpredictable (I am practically a cat 'whisperer' so realize how bad the situation was). I even bought pheromone spray (supposed to calm) which only made him angrier. With lots of love, attention, patience and consistency (like a toddler) he is really coming around. However there are days when he will still walk across the room and bite my foot or ankle. I have deduced he is bored and wants to play. I will get a toy and distract him. I use child's foam dart gun to teach him to stay off counter, with loud verbal reprimand - gotta be consistent. You are on the right path with lots of LOVE and security. You're lucky he isn't dominating your other cat. Try to keep him entertained as best you can.

Unknown said...

I have a 4 year old female Maine Coon, I have had her sense the day she was born (I was cat sitting and 5 days later mommy gave birth) she came out unresponsive I had to bring her back to life and from that moment on she was my girl.
Is it normal that she won't let us pick her up, we can only pet her when I give her treats, she will only it one kind of food, ( she won't touch any people food which I like)
I can't get any other cats or anything that isn't a reptile or she starts acting more strange she starts to look all greasey stops eating and looks like she's going to die. After I rehome the other cats I had got after her took a week and she started to look better. . Is this normal?

Unknown said...

Boy Sylvia, you have your hands full with your kitty. I'm afraid I won't be much help because I haven't dealt with those issues with my male Maine Coons. However, I have another cat (elderly female). My Maine Coon came into this home as 8 week old with this elderly cat and 2 dogs. He is now almost a 1.5 years old and he rules the roost. He acts more like a dog than a cat, so he gets along well with the dogs (jumps on them, chases them - playing), He totally bullies my female cat though. I think he thinks he's playing, but he's too rough so I have to watch them closely so he won't hurt her. He is almost 19 lbs and she is now probably not even 5 lbs. I think since you have such an unusual bond with your cat, she can'r handle you sharing yourself with anyone else. Sounds like she's heartbroken when you try to introduce another animal. I live in the country and have a 'cat yard' very high fenced area for my Coon to play in. If you can do this, it might help entertain her and she won't be so dependent on you - better off emotionally - ??? For anyone reading this, I can't say I would recommend a Maine Coon for the city where they can never go outside. Try another breed. Maine Coons are quite 'wild'. Need lots of playing/attention and preferably a safe outdoor area to roam.

Kelly said...

Hi,

My partner and I have a male Maine Coon mix, who will be 1 in March. We also have a 3 year old female cat, a 4 year old Cattledog and two 12 year old Eskies. All are fixed except for one Eskie, due to a heart murmur. He seems to like my partner better than me. He attacks me out of no where. All I have to do is have my hand there. He will lick it, nibble on my fingers, then lunge for my arms and scratch me. We are close to getting rid of him by either giving him back to the person who gave him to us (I think it was to early for him to be adopted out at 2 months old), or we'll have to talk to our vet about adopting him out. He has his own room, in which he stays, due to attacking me like crazy. My partner tries to play with him and he will play, for a little while. Then he jumps at her, but it seems to be me that he "hates" more. I have health issues, including asthma, and I don't want to get an infection from his constant scratching. He has a scratching post as well. He has his own water bowl, food bowl, is feed two to three times a day, but still goes crazy over food. We're not sure what to do anymore. He is fixed as well, but his time is running out in our household. Any suggestions?

Kelly

Unknown said...

Kelly, this sounds very reminiscent of my 'Bijou' (fixed, maine coon male). He is now 1.7 yrs. old and occasionally still bites at me, etc. (only me, he loves husband and grown sons). I have learned to redirect his energy and get a play toy out (he especially likes the wands with a string and feathers on the end) or little plastic balls with bells inside to chase. I have concluded that he bites because he wants some attention. We are alone together all day - so it's me or nothing! You might actually be making the situation worse if you ostracize him (they are very social) which I also did when he was a kitten because he would attack me thru the night - so easy for me to say. Try turning the negative behavior into positive 'play'. Get some treats and keep them very handy and when he gets nasty - give him treat (backwards - I know - but might get him to realize you are not the enemy). I have also seen a big improvement with maturity. I sympathize with you because I see the difference in how my cat responds to me vs; the fellas in our family. I hope you can give him some more time and see if redirecting his attention to toys helps with the aggression. good luck!

Unknown said...

I should have also mentioned...my Maine Coon LOVES food. He's now on diet food - which he loves also (17 lbs). He eats several times a day. It might be possible he wants more food & he's telling you the only way he can. I researched Maine Coons and they have a veracious appetite because they grow much bigger than other breeds. You may just have to experiment with everything and keep his claws cut. You can also purchase little soft plastic claw covers (they glue on). I haven't tried them - sorry. It helped to research the breed - they are very different, but worth it. Hang in there!

Kelly said...

Corbi Sayler...Thank you for the information. We have not let him out of his room, but we do leave his door open now, with a baby gate, that he can jump over or climb through when he wants to come out. I think my big fear is infection for me, the two senior dogs and the other cat, who does not like him. I think I will increase his feedings. He does seem to be better with me, since I'm the one who opens his door in the morning and closes it at night. I did start giving him treats too and he grabs for my hand, but is gentle about it now. We're giving him a chance. He is starting to let me pet him too. We will definitely keep trying.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update Kelly. I hope it continues to improve. Everyone's circumstances are different and all animals are different, so easy for me to say. Just passing on what I've learned along the way. They want what they want - when they want it! ha!

Unknown said...

I have not been here in some time...my Maine Coon Beau attacked me about 7 months ago and bit my arm so hard all four canines sunk in all the way. I spent the next 4 days in the hospital on high octane antibiotics while they tried to save my arm. I got lucky, the infection stopped but my family made me promise to do something about Beau. Beau could be purring one moment and the next turn into a feline Cujo and I kept making excuses for him...I loved him so much. I had him since he was two months old and he had the best of everything, I spoiled the heck out of him. But he started biting me at 5 months and it got worse after I had him neutered when I thought doing that would make him less apt to bite. He would come to me every time he woke up from a nap because he wanted me to kiss his head and he was just so sweet....until he would go insane for a few moments and try to really hurt me. I am disabled so maybe he felt that and wanted to be the boss? I don't know.

Two days after I came home from the hospital, Beau attacked me again. He was not able to get a good bite in though: I saw it coming soon enough and got him under his belly and flipped him in the air and that gave me time enough to stand up while he was coming down on the couch. At a year and a half old, he weighed 22 pounds and was still growing like a weed even though the person I got him from promised Beau would not get really large because he was only half Maine Coon..I sent him pictures every month and he could not believe it! I told him about the bad aggression and asked him to take Beau. He has a family with kids so he said no and I can't blame him for that, I would say no too. But I could not give Beau to anyone else, if he attacked them like he did me I could be held liable in court. I can't afford any of that and had to make such a hard decision. I put Beau down, the vet I take him to at first refused to do it until I told them how big he had gotten and brought them the hospital paperwork where I almost lost my lower arm from the infection I got from the bite. They agreed then, and it killed me to have to do that to my beautiful Beau. But I held him and talked to him and cried like a baby and then took him home with me to bury.

I have never had a cat with such aggression and I have had them my whole life. I bred my Siamese Seal Point with champion males when I was just 14 years old..she had a natural kink tail and straight eyes and no papers but my parents bred and showed Miniature to Standard size Poodles and the word got around about my Siamese cat. Before I knew it, people were asking me to allow breeding with their champion males, flying their cats in from all over and the male cat would spend the week with me and my family. They would stay in my bedroom and then go home. The contract was always the same: The people would get first and second pick of the litter and I kept the rest to sell. I bred her five times and she gave me six kittens each time. It would always be three kittens with kinked tails and crossed eyes (which is what the people wanted) and three with straight tails and straight eyes. I stopped after the fifth litter although I got offers from ALOT of people to breed her more times, but I did not want to wear her out LOL. I made alot of money for a 14 year old, especially that third kitten with kinked tail and crossed eyes that everyone wanted but Sissy was my baby and I did not care about the money that much. I miss my Beau so much, but I did get a rescue. She is a Russian Blue, she was abused by the people she was with for 4 years. She is coming around and starting to trust me, and she helps me not be so sad about my Beau. I still cry every day though..

Unknown said...

OMG...how sad. I suspect he has been aggressive with your other pets. Do they seem to fear him? I'm not really sure what to advise. My Maine Coon is nice to my two dogs and they both shy away from him. They all sleep on my bed at one time or another during the night, pretty 'all inclusive'. Sounds like none of yours are in your bedroom at night. If the Maine Coon is crying - he probably wants in your room. Maine Coons want what they want - when they want it. I am very confident that when my cat approaches me to bite, he is trying to tell me something..."i'm hungry", "I want outside", "I'm bored", etc. Keep your cats nails clipped and try to secretly observe them interacting. I'll bet he's dominating your other pets and they are afraid of him. Might not be anything you can do and it probably bothers you more than it does him. Sorry

Unknown said...

I'm so so sorry. I'm sure it is killing you. Who knows why they are like that? One of my Maine Coon's sent me to Doc with bad bite to hand and it got infected almost immediately. I think Coons do best when they can get outside. It totally changes my cats' dispositions. I really feel your pain. Please don't beat yourself up too bad. Beau is with God now.

Unknown said...

I have a Mixed Maine Coon, We got him when he was maybe 4-6 months old from a family that had to suddenly move in with a family members due to an illness and that member was allergic to cats. We welcomed him openly into our home. He is now almost 2 and he is becoming more and more peculiar daily.
He lays in the middle of any walk way causing us to have to constantly step over him, he will be just stretched out in the flloor chillin and if we bend down to slowly rub His head or talk to him he will quickly wrap His legs and arms around our hand and wrist and dig His claws in and chew on our knuckles, he does this without appearing to be upset, no hissing, or growling it’s like a reaction for him and like it is completely normal behavior and when we pull our hands away because of the trauma, he just stares at us like he hasn’t done a thing wrong And we are bleeding and angry. If I am in the floor working on a project or doing a puzzle, he will come and lay down right in the middle on top of my work and if I dare touch him (thinking he has made himself available for me to love on him) he will viciously attack my hand, when I attempt to “move His large body” off of my work area, he retaliates and acts like it’s some type of “stand off” between us, like he is ready to fist fight me?! I would never punch an animal in the face (but I have never told him that) it’s like he is pushing Me! And I’m the Parent here, I have a teenager and a grown son and neither of them would ever treat me like that, now I kno he is a car but I still treat him as my little boy but he treats me like a chew toy or a scratching post! 😥 I work long hours but someone is always home so he is not completely alone all day long, I have no other pets except dogs outside and I wonder if mb he is bored and if I should see about getting another Maine coon but a mild mannered one and introducing him/her to the household, would the positive endorphins given off by the new one give Zander a reason to be good and happy for a change or would this just cause him to become even more aggressive and abusive?!

Please Help! I’m n Need of Guidence!

Anonymous said...

My pet was experienced the odor problem also, according to his exotic animal vet my cat has kidney failure and now he is under medication. I hope everything will be fine.

Unknown said...

My Maine Coon mix is very mean and attacks for no reason too. I adopted him from a shelter at 6 months old. He will be 4 mid April 2019. My boyfriend and I have both gotten bit until we bled and always have scratches on us from him. He hates being touched and tolerates it for a minute sometimes, then all hell breaks loose. However, I've never been scared enough to call 911. That literally cracked me up, but at the same time I feel sorry for all of you. My cats claws need trimmed and I took him to the vet the first time, but it took 3 assistants and the vet to clip his claws. That cost me $70! So next time I chose a very upscale spa type place to have his nails trimmed. I told the girl that he is very aggressive and it would probably be better if I was in there too. She said not to worry, they handle aggressive animals all the time. 5 minutes later she came back out bleeding with my cat in his carrier and told me he is one seriously disturbed cat and never bring him back. 3 people had gotten bitten until they bled and not one claw was clipped. I hate doing this, but I'm having him front declawed..... something I've always been against. I hate a pure bred Maine Coon in the late 90s who was like a real baby. He let my daughter dress him up, feed him from a bottle and push him in a baby buggy. This experience is completely opposite.

Unknown said...

Again, it has been some time since I commented here. The last time was when I told everyone that I had been severely attacked by my Maine Coon, Beau. That I almost lost my arm and even now the scars from his bites still show all over my arms. That I had to make a very hard choice to have him put to sleep. I still miss him so much, he was beautiful! But since the last comment about him, I have learned something about the man who had his father, Bear and a sister cat of his that had accidentally gotten pregnant by Bear. That was the litter that Beau was born into, and what I found out from the man's sister in law is this: That EVERY kitten from that litter either had a physical or mental disability. The fact that a brother and sister cat had mated was the probable cause of all the kittens with a mental problem being so aggressive to the other animals in the house and to people. This is what happens when cats in heat are not quarantined properly to keep them from getting pregnant...unless that is what you are wanting it to happen with a male and female that are NOT related. I was so angry at that man when I found out about this.

I still have Pearl, my rescue that I got after I lost Beau. I also have another Maine Coon kitty, her name is Chloe` and she is a RUNT. She only weighs 8.5 pounds and she is over 5 years old (I got her vets paperwork so I know her true age) and she is a DIVA who demands your attention. She lost her person, Kay passed away and the man who took Chloe`died a year after Kay so Chlo was taken to a shelter. She bit alot when I first brought her home, but I gave her space and she made friends with my Pearl kitty. Now, 5 months later, she loves to be petted. She plays like a kitten with Pearl who is actually younger than Chloe`. Her favorite place to sleep at night is next to my pillow and I wake up alot with her fluffy tail laying over my face.

I miss my Beau kitty so much still. I miss him running at full speed to the kitchen and sliding across the tile floor and hitting the wall over and over, to him it was a game. I miss him waking up from naps and coming to me to kiss the top of his head. I miss him chirping at the squirrels and birds outside. I miss him laying next to me with his head on my leg to watch TV with me. So many things that my Chloe` does now that remind me of Beau, but I smile now when 5 months ago I would cry. Pearl and Chloe` get on great together and I love them so much.